FAQ -Current HSMT Students

Advising and Registration 

To locate your academic advisor(s), log into DegreeWorks.  To access DegreeWorks, log into my.uncc.edu, then click on the Degree Works icon under Quick Links. Once you are logged in to DegreeWorks, search the top bar to find your advisor(s). All current assigned academic advisors will be shown in the “Advisor” section.

No. Students must complete the prerequisite course before attempting the course(s) for which it is required.  The prerequisite courses are meant to develop knowledge and skills, which will be used at the next level course. 
You must have sophomore standing to enroll in both HSMT 2101 and HSMT 2103. Sophomore standing means you have earned at least 30 credit hours.
To enroll in 3000-level HSMT courses, you must have completed at least 45 credit hours and earned a “C” or better in both HSMT 2101 and HSMT 2103.

No, the minimum time from start to finish for the HSMT major is four semesters - you cannot complete this major any faster than four semesters. 

Before taking HSMT 4400 - Health Systems Management Capstone, you must complete the following prerequisite(s): HSMT 3103, HSMT 3201, HSMT 3203, HSMT 4101, and HSMT 4103. 

There are no exceptions to this policy - the course sequencing is designed to prepare you for success.
The HSMT program does not offer an internship course for academic credit, but we recommend contacting the Career Center to determine if you would be a candidate for UCOL 3410. UCOL 3410 is an option on campus for students to earn internship course credit when their major does not have an internship course.  Click here for additional details.
HSMT 4400 is the capstone course and culminating experience for the major.  In this class, you will apply skills learned in all of your HSMT courses to solve a community-based problem.  This course is not an internship. 
15 hours constitutes a typical full-time course load for undergraduates.  A student must complete 15-16 hours per semester to complete a bachelor's degree in four academic years.  Enrollment in more than 18 hours in a semester requires advance approval by the Dean of the student's major college.  An undergraduate student enrolled in 12 or more hours is considered a full-time student and must pay full tuition and fees.
A standard load for an undergraduate student enrolled in a summer session is up to 7 credit hours.  Enrollment in more than 7 credit hours in a single summer session, or in concurrent summer sessions (e.g., a 10-week and a 5-week session), requires advance approval by the dean of the student’s major college.

University policy states that undergraduate students may receive a grade of ‘W’ for no more than 16 credit hours over the course of their academic careers. 

 The deadline to withdraw from one or more courses (including withdrawal from all courses) is at the 60% completion point of the term.  The precise date for each term will be published in the Academic Calendar.  After this deadline, late withdrawal will only be allowed for approved extenuating circumstances.  

The answer depends on what type of hold is on your record.  Some “holds” are for outstanding fees; others are to inform you that you must meet with an advisor before you can register for courses.  You need to check the type of hold(s) you have by using Banner Self-Service, and then contact the department that added the hold to your record.

You will need to read and submit the HSMT Repeat Override Permit Request Form to be granted a repeat override permit.

Note: Being issued a repeat override permit does not automatically register you for the course.  Effective fall 2021, grade replacements are automatically selected. Students will be able to accept the auto-selection, change the selections, or opt-out of grade replacements for fall. Until the student meets their maximum 2 replacements, they will need to review each semester. The deadline to take action is the last day to withdraw for the term or the autoselection will become permanent. 

The HSMT program does not accept study abroad courses as replacements for HSMT courses.

Academic Performance 

An undergraduate student who meets the cumulative requirements for good academic standing but performs below a 2.0 GPA in a given semester - or who performs below the two-thirds cumulative ratio of earned- to- attempted hours- is given a “good academic standing warning.”   This warning indicates potential academic problems and is communicated to the student and to the student’s advisor and major department(s).

Students who receive a "good academic standing warning" do not meet the financial aid requirements for satisfactory academic progress. 

Good academic standing warnings do not appear on the student’s permanent academic record, and the transcript notation will reflect "good academic standing."

An undergraduate student whose cumulative GPA is below 2.0 is placed on academic probation.  This status is noted on the student's permanent academic record in the semester of the evaluation and continues until the next evaluation opportunity. 

Starting Catalog year 2019-2020: A grade of C or above in HSMT 2101, 2103, and 3103 and a grade of D or above in HSMT 3201, 3203, 4101, 4103, 4201, 4202 and 4400 courses within two attempts* is required to progress in the major.

HSMT majors who accumulate more than three grades of D, F, or W in required HSMT courses will be terminated from the program. HSMT majors who fall below a GPA of 2.0 in the major will be placed on probation. A student on probation whose GPA in the major remains below 2.0 at the next evaluation will be terminated from the program.

*Each of the following is considered an attempt: Withdrawing from the course after the drop deadline (may be appealed); grade replacement; Incompletes that convert to grades of F; and grades of A, B, C, D, or F.


To graduate from UNC Charlotte you must have earned a minimum of 120 hours of specified course work.  A bachelor’s degree is comprised of General Education courses, a major program(s), elective courses, and, in some cases, a minor program(s), and, in general, is completed in four years.
No; but with good planning, you can complete the program in two years (four total semesters).  Each course prepares you for the skills and knowledge you will need to be successful in the following courses.  It is imperative that students follow the course sequencing in order to be successful in the HSMT major.
University policy states that students participate in the Commencement Ceremony for the term in which they complete the requirements for the degree.  Students completing their degrees in Summer or Fall participate in the Fall (December) Commencement Ceremony; students completing their degrees in Spring participate in the Spring (May) Commencement Ceremony.

To drop your major or minor, using your uncc.edu email address, send a request to registrar@uncc.edu with:

  • Your name
  • Your Student ID number
  • Statement specifying, “I want to drop my [insert major/minor name].”
Visit Niner Central for additional information.

Complaints and Disputes 

To resolve course disputes, students are directed to first discuss the issue with the course instructor. If the issue is not resolved at that level it should be brought to the Program Director (program or student-conduct related matters) or the HSMT Program Committee (course content, workload) via the undergraduate student representative.  If the issue cannot be resolved by those methods, then the Department Chair (faculty conduct related matters) should be consulted.  If the dispute is with the Program Director, the issue should be brought directly to the Department Chair.  If not resolved informally, students are directed to the formal college policy summarized below. Students may wish to consult with their academic advisor if unsure of their options.

If, after consulting the course instructor and/or HSMT Program Director, a student who wishes to appeal a policy of the HSMT Program may do so by submitting a written appeal to the Department Chairperson in accordance with the "Academic Grievance Policy of the College of Health and Human Services" (in the College of Health and Human Services Handbook 2020-2021). This appeal will be reviewed and judgment made by the faculty of the department. Students should refer to the grievance and appeals policy in the College of Health and Human Services Student Handbook.