Preceptor agencies require students to comply with a variety of health and training requirements prior to the start of an internship. We have listed several common resources here for your convenience. Students should carefully review the following guidelines as they begin preparing for an internship.
There may be additional Compliance Requirements. All of these may not be required by the agency, or additional requirements may be needed. Check with your internship program coordinator, Julie Howell (Julie.Howell@uncc.edu).
Please complete the Agency Compliance Requirement Form by recording your immunization dates and submitting proof of requirements. Once completed, please upload the form and copies of your requirements to the secure Dropbox link that will be provided to you by the Compliance Coordinator. If you have any questions, please contact the Compliance Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. *Always make a copy for your records before submitting to the Compliance Coordinator.*
- Immunization requirements: Tdap, MMR, Hepatitis B, Varicella.
- Additional immunizations may be required based on agency: 2 Step TB Test (blood test preferred), and Flu Shot.
- Hepatitis B options: Engerix-B or Recombivax HB 3-dose series (at 0, 1 month and 6 months); Heplisav-B 2-dose series at least 4 weeks apart; or HepA-HepB 3-dose series; or titer for Hepatitis B; or formal declination of Hepatitis B.
- Hepatitis B Declination form. If you choose to decline this immunization requirement, please sign the form and send it in with your other compliance records.
- Varicella options: Titer (blood test one time but cost more), or 2 vaccines a month apart.
PHS policy requires students participating in internship activities and who are required to complete a Criminal Background Check and/or drug testing screen to use only the university-approved vendors listed here.
- If you are in international student who has lived in the US for less than 6 years, you will need to pay an additional fee to obtain a Police Clearance Certificate. Please contact your consulate to get instructions on the process and fees. Note, this process should be initiated at least 3 months prior to your internship.
Students interning in the fall or spring at Novant Health, Atrium Health, and CaraMont are required to have an annual flu vaccination. Flu shots are available starting in September of each year. Students interning fall, spring, and summer at Novant Health, Atrium Health, and CaraMont are required to have a COVID Vaccine.
CPR Certification: Available through American Red Cross or Innovative Solutions in HealthCare Education for Health Care Provider CPR training. Or you may find another agency who administers CPR training to obtain CPR certification.
The UNC Charlotte Student Health Center offers on-campus American Heart Association BLS and Heartsaver First Aid/CPR/AED and American Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED training and certification. Classes will be held weekly at the Student Health Center. Please visit the Student Health Center website for information about class schedules to obtain CPR certification.
*Students, please note that in complying with these requirements you may incur student out-of-pocket costs ranging from $60-$150 depending on the agency-specific requirements.
Students completing their Internship with Novant Health will need to complete additional requirements.
- Students will need to complete the Student Consent for Access to Education Records form which will need to be turned into the Registrar's Office (contact information on form) and the CHHS Compliance Coordinator via the secure Dropbox link provided to you.
- Students will need to visit Novant's website for additional information regarding internships at Novant. Required Novant documents are to be submitted to Julie Ann Howell (Julie.Howell@uncc.edu), Administrative Support Specialist, in CHHS 335.
For additional questions, please email CHHS Student Compliance.