PHS’ DEBORAH BEETE WINS UNC CHARLOTTE’S 2023 AWARD FOR TEACHING EXCELLENCE!

Categories: News

On Friday, September 22, 2023, PHS Senior Lecturer Deborah Beete, MPH, MDiv, won the 2023 UNC Charlotte Award for Teaching Excellence. A former public health practitioner, Miss Beete uses her knowledge and experience to foster and encourage the next generations of academics and practitioners by meeting students where they are and pushing them to exceed their own expectations.

Jennifer Troyer, interim provost, said Miss Beete and her co-winner are “true examples of what makes UNC Charlotte a great place for our students. Their classrooms are places of inclusion where free expression of ideas is encouraged and welcomed, and they find new and inspiring methods to spark their students’ desire to learn and to grow.”

“The aim of every course I teach is to nourish my students’ personal, academic and professional growth,” said Beete. “I approach my teaching with the assumption that all students have the capacity to be successful, and my greatest joy is when a student has more curiosity and questions at the end of a course than they had at the beginning.”See here for more details