Catalog Year Fall 2019
Students must have completed one Natural Sciences course from the approved courses provided below in order to declare the Minor in Public Health. The course can be taken as a part of the University’s General Education Requirements.
- BIOL 1110 – Principles of Biology I
- BIOL 1115 – Principles of Biology II
- BINF 1101 – Introduction to Bioinformatics and Genomics
- ESCI 1101 – Earth Sciences-Geography
- BIOL 2273 – Human Anatomy and Physiology
- BIOL 2274 – Human Anatomy and Physiology II
- KNES 2168 – Human Anatomy and Physiology for the Health Professionals
- KNES 2169 – Human Anatomy and Physiology for the Health Professions II
The Minor in Public Health is awarded only to students completing an undergraduate major at UNC Charlotte. The minor consists of 21 semester hours: 15 hours must come from a set of required courses and 6 hours must come from a set of electives. To qualify for the Minor in Public Health upon graduation, students must have earned a GPA of at least 2.0 in courses applied to the minor.
Students are encouraged to take electives outside their major department and college to gain a broader health perspective. Please note that some courses may have prerequisites or other requirements. Because additions and deletions of courses may be made to correspond to current University offerings, students are encouraged to consult with the Program Coordinator as they plan their schedules.
Contact Ms. Betria Stinson, Public Health Minor Coordinator, at email@example.com. Download the Minor in Public Health Academic Advising Checklist and bring it with you to the advising session.
Required Courses (12 Credit Hours)
- HLTH 2101 – Healthy Lifestyles (3)
- HLTH 2102 – Foundations of Public Health (3)
- HLTH 2103 – Foundations of Global Health (3)
- HLTH 4104 – Epidemiology (3) **
Each of the following is considered an attempt: Withdrawing from the course after the drop deadline (may be appealed); grade replacement; audits; Pass/No Credit; Incompletes that convert to grades of F; and grades of A, B, C, D, or F. **Prerequisite: HLTH 2102/3101.
Required Science Course (3 Credit Hours)
Choose a natural science course from the list above under Admission Requirements. This is a prerequisite for declaring the Minor in Public Health.
Elective Courses (6 Credit hours)
Select two of the following electives. Please note that some courses may have prerequisites or other requirements set by the offering department. Being enrolled as a Public Health Minor does not guarantee being able to register for all the courses below.
- AFRS 3261 – Psychology of the Black Experience (3)
- AFRS 4630 – Environmental and Public Health in Africa (3)
- ANTH 3122 – Culture, Health, and Disease (3) or ANTH 3222 – Culture, Health, and Disease (3)
- ANTH 4131 – Culture, Pregnancy, and Birth (3)
- COMM 3115 – Health Communication (3)
- ECON 3141 – Health Economics (3)
- FINN 3271 – Principles of Risk Management and Insurance (3)
- HLTH 3115 – Health and the Aging Process (3) or GRNT 3115 – Health and the Aging Process (3)
- NURS 4191 – Women’s Health Issues (3) or WGST 4191 – Women’s Health Issues (3)
- PHIL 3230 – Healthcare Ethics (3)
- POLS 3125 – Healthcare Policy (3)
- SOCY 4168 – Sociology of Mental Health and Illness (3)
- Any unrestricted HLTH 2000- , 3000- , or 4000-level course