Catalog Year Prior to Fall 2019
Students must have completed the required Natural Science and Lab course from the University’s General Education Requirements in order to declare the Minor in Public Health.
The Minor in Public Health is awarded only to students completing an undergraduate major at UNC Charlotte. The minor consists of 22 semester hours: 13 hours must come from a set of required courses and nine hours must come from a set of electives. To qualify for the Minor in Public Health upon graduation, students must have earned a GPA of at least 2.0 in courses applied to the minor.
Students are encouraged to take electives outside their major department and college to gain a broader health perspective. Please note that some courses may have prerequisites or other requirements. Because additions and deletions of courses may be made to correspond to current University offerings, students are encouraged to consult with the Program Coordinator as they plan their schedules.
Contact Ms. Betria Stinson, Public Health Minor Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Download the Minor in Public Health Academic Advising Checklist and bring it with you to the advising session.
REQUIRED COURSES (9 CREDIT HOURS)
Course/Requirement listed in current Catalog
What will appear in Fall 2019 Schedule of Classes
HLTH 3101 – Foundations of Public Health
HLTH 2102 – Foundations of Public Health
HLTH 4104 – Epidemiology**
HLTH 4104 – Epidemiology**
HLTH 4280 – Global Health Issues
HLTH 2103 – Foundations of Global Health
*Each of the following is considered an attempt: Withdrawing from the course after the drop deadline (may be appealed); grade replacement; audits; Pass/No Credit; Incompletes that convert to grades of F; and grades of A, B, C, D, or F. **Prerequisite: HLTH 3101
Please remember these changes will only be seen in the FALL 2019 schedule. The Department of Public Health Sciences will coordinate with the Registrar’s Office to ensure the courses you take are correctly reflected in your DegreeWorks profile and requirements show complete.
REQUIRED SCIENCE & LAB COURSE (4 CREDIT HOURS)
Choose a natural science and corresponding lab course from the University’s General Education Requirements. This is a prerequisite for declaring the Minor in Public Health.
ELECTIVE COURSES (9 Credit HOURS)
Select three of the following electives. Please note that some courses may have prerequisites or other requirements set by the offering department. Being enrolled as a Public Health Minor does not guarantee being able to register for all the courses below.
- AFRS 3261 – Psychology of the Black Experience (3)
- AFRS 4630 – Environmental and Public Health in Africa (3)
- ANTH 3122 – Culture, Health, and Disease (3) or ANTH 3222 – Culture, Health, and Disease (3)
- ANTH 4131 – Culture, Pregnancy, and Birth (3)
- COMM 3115 – Health Communication (3)
- ECON 3141 – Health Economics (3)
- ETIN 3243 – Occupational Health Technology (3)
- FINN 3271 – Principles of Risk Management and Insurance (3)
- GRNT 2100 – Aging and the Lifecourse (3)
- GRNT 2124 – Psychology of Adult Development and Aging (3) or PSYC 2124 – Psychology of Adult Development and Aging (3)
- HIST 2140 – Disease and Medicine in History (3)
- HLTH 3115 – Health and the Aging Process (3) or GRNT 3115 – Health and the Aging Process (3)
- KNES 2150 – Introduction to Kinesiology (3)
- NURS 2200 – Human Growth and Development (3)
- NURS 4191 – Women’s Health Issues (3) or WGST 4191 – Women’s Health Issues (3)
- PHIL 3230 – Healthcare Ethics (3)
- POLS 3125 – Healthcare Policy (3)
- PSYC 2151 – Introduction to Abnormal Psychology (3)
- PSYC 2160 – Introduction to Health Psychology (3)
- PSYC 2165 – Introduction to Community Psychology (3)
- SOCY 3169 – Sociology of Health and Illness (3)
- SOCY 4168 – Sociology of Mental Health and Illness (3)
- Any unrestricted HLTH 2000- , 3000- , or 4000-level course