Minor in Public Health
The Minor in Public Health supports students interested in health-related careers or those seeking a health dimension within other career choices. Students in the minor come from biological, social, and behavioral sciences, as well as from health-related academic majors. The minor extends students’ working knowledge of health applications that prepares them to be competitive in the job market and to make advanced degree choices.
Students seeking entry-level positions in health services or non-clinical health agencies and organizations after graduation will find this minor helpful in broadening their understanding of contemporary public health issues. Students in the minor are well positioned for graduate work in specific disciplines like psychology, sociology, social work, public health, health communication, or adult development and aging. The program also provides applied health content and added value to academic degrees of students seeking admission to dental, nursing, medical, pharmacy, physical therapy and other professional schools.
The Minor in Public Health fosters an interdisciplinary perspective of individual and population health. National health priorities in the first decade of the 21st century emphasize interdisciplinary training. As students develop specific healthcare competencies, undergraduate interdisciplinary experiences provide students better flexibility in working across disciplines as well as within their own major.
To declare the Minor in Public Health:
- Send and email to email@example.com using the subject line PHMINOR_DECLARE_FIRSTNAME_LASTNAME
- In the body of the email, include your 800 number, and the statement “I wish to declare the Public Health Minor”
- NOTE: If you are currently a Pre-Public Health, or BSPH Major you may not declare the PH Minor without a change in major as well
- Wait to receive confirmation that the email has been received, and your request to declare the minor has been sent to the Registrar’s Office
- Once the minor has been added to your academic record, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for all future advising. Please use the subject line: PHMINOR_ADVISING_FIRSTNAME_LASTNAME.
- In all communication related to the Public Health Minor program please include your 800 number in the email body.
- Download the Minor in Public Health Academic Advising Checklist based on the catalog year shown for the Public Health Minor in DegreeWorks. Bring the checklist with you to the advising session.
a. Minor in Public Health Academic Advising Checklist for Catalog Year prior to Fall 2019.
b. Minor in Public Health Academic Advising Checklist for Catalog Year Fall 2019.
- Send an email to email@example.com using the subject line PHMINOR_DROP_FIRSTNAME_LASTNAME
- In the body of the email, include your 800 number, and the statement “I wish to drop the Public Health Minor”
- Wait to receive confirmation that the email has been received, and your request to drop the minor has been sent to the Registrar’s Office